A tort is a civil violation of someone else’s legal rights that result in some sort of loss.
Many types of lawsuits fall under the general category of tort law, including personal injury, fraud, defamation and trespass, to name a few. Business torts cover violations that harm a business. Common business torts we encounter include:
- Misrepresentation and fraud — when a party damages your business through lies or manipulation
- Breach of fiduciary duties — when a party in a position of trust over your assets violates their duties
- Unfair and deceptive trade practices — this is geared more toward protecting consumers from unfair business practices
- Civil RICO and conspiracy — you may sue a criminal organization that conspires to commit crimes that injure your business
- Tortious interference with contractual and prospective business relationships — when other parties interfere with your business contracts and agreements