Robert D. Cheeley
Founding Member and Managing Partner
Get to know Bob
For over four decades, attorney Bob Cheeley has been advocating for the rights of Georgia residents who sustained injuries or lost a family member in catastrophic incidents. An accomplished professional, he is a founding member and the managing partner of Cheeley Law Group, LLC.
Throughout his career, Bob has secured hundreds of millions of dollars in jury verdicts and negotiated settlements on behalf of women who acquired cancer after using the talcum powder made by Johnson & Johnson and for the families of nursing students who perished in Savannah in 2015 when a truck crashed into their car. He has also triumphed over General Motors, winning a $150 million settlement in one instance and a $105 million jury verdict in another for producing faulty vehicle parts.
For his clients around the country, Mr. Cheeley has obtained verdicts and settlements totaling more than $275 million. Some of his other noteworthy results include a $90 million settlement in a defective SUV case against Suzuki Motor Company and $40 million against Toyota Motor Company for faulty seat belts.
Born and raised in Georgia, Mr. Cheeley graduated cum laude from the University of Georgia with a B.A. in 1979 and the University of Georgia School of Law with a Juris Doctor in 1982. He is licensed to practice in Georgia (1982), the U.S. District Courts for the Northern and Middle Districts of Georgia, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit and the U.S. Supreme Court.
The Georgia Trial Lawyers Association and the American Association for Justice are among Bob's professional affiliations. He also served as a board member of the Attorneys Information Exchange Group and as the president and chairman of Phi Gamma Delta.
For high professional and ethical standards, he was rated AV Preeminent* through Martindale-Hubbell and chosen as the National Trial Lawyer of the Year by Public Citizen in 1993.
Details & Education
- Commercial Litigation and Business Torts
- Personal Injury Litigation
- Traumatic Brain Injury Litigation
- Wrongful Death Litigation
- Tractor-Trailer Collision Cases
- Government Affairs / Civil Rights
- Appellate Practice
Associations & Memberships
- Georgia Trial Lawyers Association
- American Association of Justice
- 1982, Georgia
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Georgia
- U.S. Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals – 11th Circuit
- All Georgia trial courts
- University of Georgia, Class of 1978, B.A., cum laude
- University of Georgia School of Law, Class of 1982, J.D., cum laude